The goal of Helmets for Kids is to provide bicycle helmets for children who come from families that cannot afford a helmet or do not place importance on the purchase of a helmet.
This program is supported by our community partners who assist by providing the venue and promoting it to children in their community. The Brain Injury Association (BIAWE) provides trained volunteers, helmet fitting and helmets, and bicycle safety information to children.
Our community partners have included Camp Brombal, Windsor Police Services, Windsor Police Service-Amherstburg/Families First Bike Rodeo, New Canadians Centre of Excellence, Southwest Ontario Aboriginal Health Access Centre, Sandwich Teen Action Group/Coalition for Justice, Unity, Equality, and others.
Why wear a helmet?
• Reduces the risk of injury by 85%
• Lessens the severity of a concussion
• Decreases the chances of a severe injury like bruising, stretching, tearing or bleeding of the brain
• The law (Ontario Highway Safety Act) requires people less than 18 years of age to wear a helmet. You may get a $75 fine for not wearing one.
If you would like to donate to this program and provide children with the gift of a helmet and help prevent an acquired brain injury:
- Mail a cheque to: Brain Injury Association of Windsor and Essex County. P.O. Box 22070 11500 Tecumseh Rd. E. Windsor, ON N8N 5G6 OR
- Make a donation on-line using PayPal.
- Send an E-transfer
- We will also accept donations of new helmets to our program.
Charitable receipts provided for personal donations. Business receipts provided for business donations.
This program is made available to our community in Windsor and Essex County through the generosity of our donors and sponsors. We would like to thank the following for 2020:
If you or your organization would like to host a helmet fitting for children who fit the criteria, please complete the application form and return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Call 519-981-1329 if you have any questions.
Please indicate your choice of dates for the helmet fitting.